Budapest visitors often bump into a square called ‘Heroes’ Square’ (Hosok tere) when reading about attractions, things to do or just simply understanding the basics of navigation in Budapest. Heroes square is indeed one of the major hot spots in Budapest, an anchor on your Budapest Map – especially for tourists who can actually visit 4-10 Budapest attractions very close to each other.
See the Heroes Square on our Budapest Map for tourists (the blue M metro icon means that there is an M1 yellow metro line station on Heroes Square):
View Budapest Tourist Map in a larger map
Arial View of Budapest Heroes Square
You can see the Museum of Fine Arts (on the left side of the square) well lit by night, and the triangular tympanum of the Arts Hall on the right side of the U shaped square, which is a dramatic peak of Andrassy Avenue – both part of the Hungarian UNESCO World Heritage sites.
Some of the most famous attractions in Budapest around Heroes’ Square include
- the Millennial Monument (best viewed as approaching the square via Andrassy Avenue),
- the world famous Szechenyi Spa Bath – a neo-baroque palace of relaxation and fun,
- the Art Nouveau Budapest Zoo, which should not be missed even if you are not a big zoo fan as the architecture is truly amazing (plus there is a Szamos Cafe in the zoo)
- the Museum of Fine Arts with classical permanent exhibitions, but exciting modern temporary exhibitions (like The Birth of Photography)
- the beautiful Vajdahunyad Castle, which is a much favoured festival venue as well as an ideal romantic date site
- the relaxing big greens of the City Park (Varosliget) with lots of playgrounds, table tennis tables, mini football and basketball fields, and the quirky and nice PECSA Flea Market
- the Museum of Transport, which is simply cool with all its retro vehicles
- the Artificial Ice Rink (boat lake in summer, open air ice rink in winter time), which is fun to see and invigourating to step on,
- the former Amusement Park, which has been closed since 2013
- the Budapest Circus, which is a permanent circus in Budapest with traditional circus performances (unfortunately not like the cool Cirque de Soleil performances)